Atlanta, Georgia- a city known for sizzling summer weather- is also a hotspot for cybercrime.
Many of the crimes that occur in real life are now done or at least facilitated through the Internet. Human trafficking, identity theft, embezzlement, and more all can be and are being done online.
In an effort to encourage communities to embrace a more sustained, proactive approach towards online safety and cybercrime prevention, the STOP. THINK. CONNECT. Campaign will be hosting its fourth Cyber Tour in Atlanta, from August 20-23, 2012.
Cyber Tours engage all segments of the community – from individuals and non-profit organizations to government entities and businesses- in cybersecurity events and activities.
The Atlanta Cyber Tour will feature involvement from Georgia Tech, InfraGard, the Multi-State Information Sharing and Analysis Center (MS-ISAC), Boys & Girls Clubs of America (BGCA), YWCA– and more.
STOP. THINK. CONNECT. encourages all residents in the Atlanta area to actively participate in the Atlanta Cyber Tour and start a dialogue about cybersecurity issues affecting our families, communities, and nation.
Here are some tips to get started:
- Lead or host a cybersecurity awareness activity in your places of work, school, recreation, or worship.
- Get schools and community organizations involved and informed on cybersecurity by planning a brown bag lunch for employees to review computer security and acceptable use policies.
- Blog or post tips for safe online practices.
- Download and distribute STOP. THINK. CONNECT. resources to your colleagues, family, and friends.
For more information on STOP. THINK. CONNECT. or to get involved in future Cyber Tours, visit http://stopthinkconnect.org/get-involved/homeland-security-campaign/cyber-tours-program.
Launched in November 2011, the STOP. THINK. CONNECT. Cyber Tour Program has made three stops: Boston, MA, Miami, FL, and the Twin Cities, MN. Atlanta, GA is the Campaign’s fourth Cyber Tour location, and will be followed by Omaha, NE in October in conjunction with National Cybersecurity Awareness Month (NCSAM) 2012.
- STOP. THINK. CONNECT. International Online Safety Awareness Campaign Enters New Era With Focus on Young Adults and Student ICT Users
- Netpathie of Switzerland Joins the Global STOP. THINK. CONNECT. Cybersecurity Awareness Campaign
- National Computer Emergency Response Team of Kazakhstan Joins STOP. THINK. CONNECT. Cybersecurity Awareness Campaign
- STOP. THINK. CONNECT. Cybersecurity Awareness Campaign Launches in Ireland in Coordination with National Awareness Lab
- Argentina Launches PARA. PIENSA. CONÉCTATE. Campaign at Tierra del Fuego Kick-Off Event
- Choosing your Cybersecurity Career Path
- Help! My IT Employee Went Rogue
- Child Identity Theft
- #ChatSTC Twitter Chat: May the Cyber Force Be With You
- #ChatSTC Twitter Chat: Now Matters – How Are You Fighting Cyber Threats?